Which reels ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which reels ?

Hi everyone, been interested in trying cat fishing for a long time but have stuck to Pike /Perch and the odd flaunt with the mud pigs or Carp as some people call them so have read and watched as much as possible but what I would like to know is ............the current setup I have at present is a pair of Daiwa Powermesh 2.5lb for local canal work and also a pair of ET Lr pitmaster 3.5lb rods which are the ones I would use for the cats as I think the biggest I will be up against are about 80lb and the odd Sturgeon to about 90lb but I think I will need to change my reels as I only have a set of shimano 8000 re which I think will not take the hammering a few big cats will give them so can any of you suggest a pair of reels which will be more than adequate for about £100 each . Also I will be upgrading my landing net and unhooking mat but again trying to stick to a budget of about £50 for each so suggestions would be appreciated .

Hi Lee,

Firstly opinions will vary here

BUT

Any of these reels will be suitable

Shimano OCs, Shimano D;s, Shimano Thunnus, Penn Liveliners and plenty of others - most of these you will find for less than £100 second hand

Mats, Nets etc - get a 50" net off of ebay, mats - catfish pro or catmaster tackle.

Join the CCG for £18 and get membership and 10% discount so worth considering that too

Comment

Dito above Lee, rods will get you away until you know wether catting is for you. Shimano 6500b's also cracking reels,don't forget all the correct terminal tackle upgrades also fella and good luck.

Comment

Craig in your opinion what size thunnus would suit best to 4.5lb test cat pro rods ?

Comment

12000s would cover all situations and sizes of lakes. 8000s would do but with thick mono you will get limited yards on each spool

Comment

Ok thanks. I keep hearing about big blues could someone tell me the correct name to research these plz ?

Comment

Bought 1 new shimano xta lc and not impressed so looking what to buy

Comment

Shimano Big Blues M, L or XL - old reel but built well. The Thunnus is now its current 'equivalent'

Comment

Ok thanks Craig, I need to buy a set of reels but still unsure which 1's to buy

Comment

There are lot of good reels out there

Penn Live Liners - were on sale
                    Thunnus - I know have these after the Ds - imported when Pound was 1.4 against Euro so made them a great price.
                    D's 8/12000
                    6500Bs
                    4500Bs
                    Big Blues
                    Guy at AGM selling a set of Ds

Comment

Hoping to get to AGM but won't be til later because of work I think. Would love to see what I'm buying, thanks very much for your help.

Comment

Hi Craig thanks for your help I've now bought some 12000d's from the Simon at the AGM

Comment

No problem - hope you enjoy them

Did you see the Big blues on the bring and buy stall?

Comment

No I didn't,I didn't arrive til after 5 though

Comment

Working...
                            X