Loop knot on live bait rigs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loop knot on live bait rigs

The time is ready for my first outing of the season, yey (and quite possibly the last due to a new arrival to the family next month). I know the premise of cat fishing is keeping it strong and simple, but I was wondering if anyone has tried using non slip loop knots for livebait rigs? I read on the previous forum about using split rings to aid movement of the hook and "protect" the bait fish and thought that this would do the same job. Thoughts?

Its not a knot im familiar with, but you would need to be sure it won't pull down under the tension of a fight, or you would be having to re-tie every time.

Comment

I think that's the same knot I was shown the other day. Some of the tarpon lads use it for heavy monos and fluoros. It didn't slip and seems pretty strong

Comment

It's used sometimes in fly fishing particularly when using large flies for pike or bass etc.

Comment

I agree with you Barry, I was just hiding away and having a little play. I'll give it a ago on a surface rig if I get chance this summer

Comment

Here you go

Comment

Looks good Alex , report back on how effective it is would be interested

I couldn't work out how to tie it from your graphic, this is useful for anyone interested in using it........

http://www.animatedknots.com/nonslipmono/
              Last edited by Richard Clarke; 29th March 2015, 19:15.

Comment

I like that, probably better than Craigs rig, I know he hasn't dropped a fish since using this set-up but I have had 1 run and 1 lost fish. I am quite interested in this knot, worthy of a go on a runs water,, before trying it on a big girl!

Comment

Craig Pert's article is in the new Whiskers mag

Comment

I've been crimping my stiff nylon traces for the last few years ,it's neat and tidy and allows movement at the business end by the hook .

Comment

And not all circles act in the same way, sometimes a change of brand/pattern can improve hook ups!

Comment

Hi Ian how are you mate , i have thought of crimping for a couple of seasons but have been put off with the conflicting opinions on strength retention and weakening through incorrect tension when applying the crimp. Have you had any issues whatsoever with this at all. Phil Aylett and i chatted about this a couple of years ago but didn't follow it up with any tests.
                        Knot tying with thick mono is difficult and untidy but crimping looks brilliant when done correctly, just don't fancy hooking a good 50+ and suffering a breakage or worse still leaving it trailing a rig.

Comment

With the right size crimps it's probably ok but you won't find many of the tarpon lads crimping, they all use knots.

Comment

I always use a tight fitting double crimp with the end of the nylon blobbed . I have confidence in them, tbh if your crimp did fail you'd only leave a hook in, it wouldn't be trailing a rig .

Comment

What size mono are you using Ian and what brand mate ?

Comment

Working...
                              X