X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Kettle
    started a topic Loop knot on live bait rigs

Loop knot on live bait rigs

The time is ready for my first outing of the season, yey (and quite possibly the last due to a new arrival to the family next month). I know the premise of cat fishing is keeping it strong and simple, but I was wondering if anyone has tried using non slip loop knots for livebait rigs? I read on the previous forum about using split rings to aid movement of the hook and "protect" the bait fish and thought that this would do the same job. Thoughts?

• CraigPert
    replied
    Good results for those two venues Alex, you can't be doing much wrong at all. Good luck for this season and keep us updated with your progress.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Kettle
    replied
    Shatterford and lakemore. I live 10min from shatterford, so its proximity is the main reason I fish there. #puddles. I did fairly well last year, caught 6 one night but I'm fully aware of for every red letter day there is many a session behind silent rods.

Leave a comment:

• CraigPert
    replied
    Where have you been catting for runs / results like that Alex, Jimmys or Pondwood?

Leave a comment:

• CraigWoodland
    replied
    Nice to hear, good luck

Leave a comment:

• Alex Kettle
    replied
    That time again and yes, I can't wait to get out onto the bank. Just thought I'd update on the rig from last year. I only managed 5 sessions last year for 16 fish and used this on both long Dumbbells and poly ball rigs. So far I haven't missed a run, fingers crossed it continues.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan Wilson
    replied
    I've got a friend who swears by this for big game lure fishing; never considered it for anything else but will be having a look having read this.

Leave a comment:

• CraigWoodland
    replied
    Agreed Rich, had a look at it myself, quite like it

Leave a comment:

• Richard Clarke
    replied
    Had a go at tying this knot. If you leave the loop big enough there is a suprising amount of rotation in both directions. You obviously don't get 360 degs as you do with the swivel, but you must get around 340 degs.

Useful knot to know.

Leave a comment:

• CraigPert
    replied
    Cheers Ian I will lok them up.

Leave a comment:

• IanWhittaker
    replied
    Hi Craig, supplier was leadertech, double crimps were 0.7,0.8 & 0.9

Leave a comment:

• CraigPert
    replied
    Cheers Ian for that. I will have a play over winter and see nhow it goes.

Leave a comment:

• IanWhittaker
    replied
    Stiff nylon to reduce tangling, the loop allows less restriction on the hook movement. I wouldn't bother using a loop with braid Barry.
    Craig, tynex/masons in 25 and 4olb from Phil/walkers, double crimps I get mail order from a company in Scotland (can't remember name off top of my head).
    I bought a few sizes of crimp to try - I'll check sizes and supplier tommorrow

Leave a comment:

• CraigWoodland
    replied
    The only benefit of Craigs vs this one is that it is on a swivel offering 360° of movement. Rather than the knot which only gives partial movement.

Barry the reasoning behind this is if a cat grabs the bait in the mouth the wrong way, when winding down it may allow the hook to rotate rather than the screaming run when u wind down there is nothing there.

Leave a comment:

• CraigPert
    replied
    What size mono are you using Ian and what brand mate ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X